Thursday, August 31, 2017

Today I decided to write a novel for my thesis. I have a couple general plot ideas that I've been storing for a few years, but I haven't really decided which I'm going to use. I had a plot based in a fantasy universe and it's my favorite but also would be the hardest to write since building the entire world myself would create a lot of risks for plot holes and problems down the road. I was also concerned my climax would be too predictable, but I realized I might be able to solve this problem by using a first-person secondary character narrator, since I could use the unreliable narrator trope to help ameliorate the predictability. However, I don't want to introduce too many points of view and characters otherwise I risk confusing the reader and maybe even myself.

If I choose to use the unreliable narrator trope, I may reread books that have generally been agreed upon to have been successful in using this trope to study how the narrator influences the story and reader's perception of it. These would include stories from the Sherlock Holmes series since it is told by Watson, or The Great Gatsby, since it is told from Nick's point of view, not Gatsby's.

Then again, I might choose to write another story altogether, since this book has heavy romance undertones even though the actual plot is mostly fantasy adventure. I find romance hard to write well, especially with so many overused tropes.

1 comment:

  1. Good start and interesting ideas you have for your senior thesis product.

    ReplyDelete